Monday, December 8, 2008

This Post Is For Lisa

This post is in honor of my wonderful friend Lisa who I think is the only person in the entire world that actually reads this blog. Oh - wait - my other wonderful friend Diane once told me that she read Ben's blog. As far as I know those are the only two people in the entire world that have ever even looked at this blog other than me. If you do read this blog and can't or don't want to post a comment, do me a favor and drop me an e-mail so I know that someone's reading this thing! I'm just curious whether or not this is a waste of time and space on the World Wide Web. Anyway...here's an update about what Ben's been up to lately.

School. Thanksgiving. More school. Playing my Nintendo DS Lite. School. More Nintendo. School again. Playing on my laptop. That pesky school. More school. School. That's about it. Oh - wait - a couple of sleepovers at Ga's house. Ga's birthday, too. And don't forget school!

Seriously, Ben's been doing well. School has been good and keeping him plenty busy. He adores MICDS and couldn't be happier there. He spends a lot of time playing with (and talking about) Harrison and Bjorn, his two best friends. He recently told me that he's been playing with Alex too, the little girl who was in his class last year at Hope Montessori. Audrey's mom has told me several times that Ben and the other boys play Power Rangers and chase the girls (and she claims that they like it although I've already apologized in advance for the time when they don't like it anymore - and undoubtedly that time will come sooner rather than later). This morning at drop off Samantha's dad told me that Samantha said that Ben likes to play Power Rangers so he won't play with her (we'll be discussing *that* this afternoon!!). I know that Ben is the Power Rangers ringleader. There's absolutely no doubt about that one in my mind. The boy is obsessed with them!

Thanksgiving was fine. Very low key this year. We had Thanksgiving lunch with Adam, Ga and Ga's friends the Kermans at South City Diner then Ben and Ga and I had Thanksgiving dinner at the Cohn's house (more of Ga's friends) where Ben and Bradford (he's in 1st grade - a bigger boy!) played all night and had a great time.

Ga headed to Florida for the winter yesterday. I wish I were there right now considering how cold it's been here lately although it's supposed to go up to 50 degrees today so that's not too bad. I am a fair weather friend, but Ben just loves the cold. I'm not sure where he gets that from! I tell him he's crazy, and he tells me that it's not nice to call him crazy so I have to apologize but then mumble under my breath that he's still crazy. He loves cold and snow and is seriously into Christmas music. Every single time we get in the car he asks me to turn the radio on to the Christmas music stations (in case anyone wonders, he prefers the "jazzier" songs as he puts it). He's also extremely disappointed that we aren't decorating our house for Christmas because we're Jewish. We were in the car the other night with some friends who are also Jewish, and he said, "We don't celebrate Christmas because we're Jewish." The "we're Jewish" part was said in the most depressed voice you've ever heard in your entire life. When he was asked what he does celebrate, he replied "Thanksgiving." He didn't sound too thrilled about that either. I feel his pain. I always loved Christmas and used to tell my parents that I wished I were normal so I could celebrate Christmas. I think a lot of little Jewish kids long for Christmas trees and decorations!! Chanukah just doesn't do it for us.

That's really about all that's been going on around here. Ben spends a lot of time with my Nintendo DS Lite and watching Noggin, the Disney Channel and the Cartoon Network. He would spend 24/7 either playing Nintendo or playing on my computer if I let him (but I don't) with the TV on. He's a typical man already!

5 comments:

Aunt Fifi said...

i really DO read this blog! i do, i do! i love keeping up with ben and you too! it always makes me happy to see a new post.

xoxo

Amy Greenberg said...

Oh Aunt Fifi...you're the greatest!

Mom in the Mitten said...

I actually LOL at the part about us jews wihing we were able to celebrate xmas.

I'm gussing that since your jewish as am I that there is a part of you that maybe russian. Either way Aunt Lisa wants you to get Ben a mini xmas/tree and hanukah bush because russian jews have new years trees. also check out the south park song about being a jew on xmas.

It's hard to be a Jew on Christmas
My friends won't let me join in any games
And I can't sing Christmas songs
Or decorate a Christmas tree
Or leave water out for Rudolph
Cos there's something wrong with me
My people don't believe in Jesus Christ to divinity
I'm a Jew, a Lonely Jew, on Christmas
Hanukkah is nice, but why is it
That Santa passes over my house every year?
And instead of eating ham I have to eat Kosher Lock Cheese (latkas)
Instead of Silent Night I'm singing Who Hack Do Ga Geesh
And what the Fuck is up with lighting all these fucking candles?
Tell me please
I'm a Jew, a Lonely Jew
I'd be Merry
But I'm Hebrew
On Christmas

anyway download the real version you will pee in your pants laugh.

Ben I must say I am way jealous. I really want a nintendo ds.

dvice12 said...

I think the blog is great. Since I don't get to see you guys, being all the way out in DC, it is nice to see what you are up to.
Since Joshua is going to a Jewish preschool he is a little insulated from the Christmas craziness, but my parents celebrate, so at some point he is going to try to figure out why grandma has a tree and we don't.
The big thing they say at his school is that hannukah doesn't really compete against christmas, but if you celebrate passover, purim, rosh hoshhannah, yom kippur, etc., then it is more likely a child might say, well, they only get christmas, but I get a whole bunch of special holidays.

Unknown said...

Na, I read your blog, too! I loved playing for "gelt" as a kid, too!

Tina Henoch Burrows